By using our site without disabling cookies, you consent to our use of them.
” Sharing a passion for great Italian wines and a love for the Okanagan inspired us to create Bonamici Cellars.“
Founded in 2012, Bonamici Cellars is a collaboration between consulting winemaker, Philip Soo and good friend and business partner Mario Rodi.
Phil and Mario met while working in the corporate world – Phil as a winemaker and Mario in sales and marketing. Sharing a passion for great Italian wines and a love for the Okanagan inspired them to create Bonamici Cellars.
Bonamici – Italian for “good friends” captures the essence of the brand. It’s about celebrating life with great wine and delicious food bringing family & friends together around the table to enjoy one of life’s simple pleasures.
In 2016, after searching extensively for a permanent home for Bonamici they found the ideal site – a picturesque 10-acre property in the Okanagan Falls area surrounded by world class award winning wineries.
Since then, a 9-acre vineyard has been planted, a beautiful tasting room including a picnic area overlooking stunning valley views opened and a new production facility completed in the fall of 2020.
“I remember when I was around 12 years old, our dad would bring in grapes from California each fall – it was like the celebration of the Harvest. We would make wine and our mom would cook great meals that we would share with our family and friends. A truly memorable Italian tradition that brought us together over a wonderful shared experience, enjoying great wine and delicious food.” Mario Rodi
“I remember visiting family in Ontario, we went out to a nice Italian restaurant where we shared a wonderful meal and a beautiful bottle of Italian wine. I was blown away by the quality and complexity of the wine. Inspired by the experience, I decided this was the kind of wine that I wanted to make.” Philip Soo
It was clear to both of us that we would pursue an Italian inspired winery and locating in the beautiful Okanagan Falls wine region with it’s rolling hills and picturesque views was the perfect setting for our new home. And from that moment on, Bonamici Cellars was born.
• The creation of Bonamici Cellars
• Purchased grapes and made wine offsite
• Produced our 1st vintage of 2012 wines: Sauvignon Blanc-Viognier, Merlot – Cab Franc, Belviaggio Red Blend
• Our first vintage release of our 2012 wines
• Recipient of a Lieutenant Governor’s Award for Excellence in BC Wine with our 2012 Merlot Cabernet Franc
• Purchased a 10.5 acre property in the Okanagan Falls wine region and created a new home for Bonamici Cellars
2017 - 2019
• Planted a 9.5 acre vineyard on our Rolling Hills property including our red Italian varietals, Sangiovese & Barbera
• Opened our 1st tasting room & picnic area
• Built a new production facility with capacity to produce 5000+ cases annually
• 1st harvest on our Rolling Hills Vineyard
• First year processing and winemaking on-site
• 2nd harvest of our Rolling Hills Vineyard and winemaking season
• Produced our Italian style wines including our Belviaggio Super Tuscan inspired red blend, and single varietals Barbera and Sangiovese
STAY IN TOUCH
We have a quarterly newsletter to help everyone stay connected. Sign up and keep up to date on upcoming wine releases and winery events. You don’t want to miss out!